Thursday, October 13, 2011

SITTING PRETTY STYLES: THE MIDI SKIRT

Today I've decided to start a new feature that puts what I learnt at uni to use. As you know I did a degree in Styling, where I learnt everything from how to style commercial and editorial shoots, to designing window displays and everything in between and beyond! I've called the feature 'Sitting Pretty Styles' which sums it all up really. Basically, each week I'll pick a popular item of clothing that season and show you two ways to style it. One for a casual look and one for a more formal, going out look. To start the ball rolling I've chosen the midi skirt which is one of my favourite things to wear. I often get people saying 'Oh I wish I knew how to wear something like that' or 'I wish I could pull that off', so what I want you all to do is make suggestions for the next weeks feature!
I'll cut to the chase and get stuck in!


THE MIDI SKIRT - CASUAL
I tend to wear my midis for day wear as they are relaxed and easy to dress down. I like to wear mine with tees tucked in and some comfy flats, which is what I've styled here but more geared towards the colder months. With a midi (or a maxi) I wouldn't recommend wearing a long jacket as this will hide the skirt and create a straight, flat silhouette which isn't a flattering look! Keep jacket lengths around the same place as the skirt begins to keep proportions right and create a nice shape. Shoes can be a difficult area with a midi as it hits the calf at an unusual point and can sometimes makes ankles appear wide than they are. I've chosen some comfy, masculine brogues, but teamed them with a simple black ankle sock that will slim the ankle down and add interest. A basic jersey tee tucked into the skirt will ensure the waist is emphasised, but the look is still casual. Add on a faux fur stole and carry a slouchy satchel for a cool day time look!
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

THE MIDI SKIRT - FORMAL
Personally, I think for evening wear the midi needs to be kept more clean and simplistic, as it is more of a statement piece for night. A sophisticated look would be to tuck in a simple black vest or camisole top, but more of a fitted style than the casual tee to keep a sleek silhouette. Again, I'd go for a blazer jacket as I think they make the skirt look more modern, but this time in a neutral cream tone. I'd then let the accessories do the talking, with a statement necklace and bracelet to add interest without being too fussy. For shoes I would go for something chunky and eye catching like the studded platform clogs I've gone for, as there is quite a lot of leg still showing with a midi, so you can get away with it! Then finish off with a bold envelope clutch in black to balance out the colours and pull everything together.


1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

So what do you think of my choices? I love doing stuff like this so if you all like it I'll definitely stick to this. Please feel free to suggest an item for m to style next week, or if you're struggling to style something you have bought, send me a link to it and I'll see what I can do!

Hope you're all okay!
PS. Remember to check out the blog sale!

SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I love posts like this! I really wish I could work out how to do one myself, but I am such a technological idiot lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with green at the moment, so love that blazer!!

    http://victoriasprocrastinationproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the first combination, the colours looks amazing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this feature. want everything from the first look! x
    http://helloomonica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea for a post, please do more! I read it with interest since I recently bought a midi skirt and haven't worn it enough because I seem to make it look too much like I'm dressing up for a 50's night. You've given me some good tips on how to make it look less like that, so thanks. How about a post on styling leather shorts next? Carla :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the black envelope clutch!
    L x

    ReplyDelete
  7. great feature, i really love the first set, the colours are lovely!

    i always wear midi's during autumn, so easy & comfortable to wear.

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In love with both outfits!! The green blazer is perfect!

    The Deer Head

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely sets. In love with the green blazer. If only RI shipped internationally...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That skirt is so nice, I want it!!!! I don't suit midi skirts, i'm too short BUT I am going to pop out next week and try some new skirts on! They're very chic and sophisticated! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love both these looks. The green blazer is gorgeous colour too! I've always been a fan of the midi skirt, but I have too short legs..! x

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig