Saturday, March 30, 2013

CREME EGG BROWNIES

The latest craze in baking to sweep the nation is the Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies as seen on the Creme Egg Facebook page. As soon as I saw the post pop up in the feed a few days ago I knew I had to give them a whirl, so yesterday I popped to my local shop and picked up a rather large supply of those yummy little eggs! I was a little wary of how rich or sickly these would be, but I was presently surprised as they aren't sickly at all. Be warned though, this is a brownie you can not eat a lot of. It is pretty heavy going and filling!

The Recipe was really easy to follow, but I did make a couple of amendments  I used regular caster sugar instead of the suggested golden variety, and gave the brownies an extra 10 minutes cooking time. These are incredibly gooey inside, so much so that I think brownie is the wrong word for them. The texture is more like a chocolate pudding, with a firm, almost crunchy topping and a velvety runny centre. Whatever you want to call them though, they are really delicious and the perfect Easter weekend treat!
---

185g unsalted butter 
185g best dark chocolate 
85g plain flour 
40g cocoa powder 
3 large eggs 
275g golden caster sugar (i used regular caster sugar)
6 Cadbury’s Crème eggs cut in half.

Preheat the oven to 160C and grease a 20 cm square baking tin. 
Melt the butter and dark chocolate together either in the microwave or in a bowl over boiling water.
Break 3 large eggs into a large bowl and tip in 275g golden caster sugar. With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar until they look thick and creamy, like a milk shake. This can take 3-8 minutes. You will know it's ready when the mixture becomes really pale and about double its original volume.
Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the eggy mousse, and then gently fold together.
Hold a sieve over the bowl of eggy chocolate mixture and sift the cocoa and flour mixture, shaking the sieve from side to side, to cover the top evenly. Gently fold in to the mixture.
Pour into the baking tin and cook for 15 minutes then take out of the over and gently press the cadburys crème egg halves into the mix, spacing them apart evenly. Put back in the over for another 5-10 minutes.
Leave to cool before removing from tin and cutting into squares.


---
Have you made these? How did yours turn out?
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. I've bought some creme eggs in prep to make these! can't wait, they look amazing! and the text is a lot clearer to read now :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my these look amazing!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look so yummy! i seriously need to make these! xo

    http://prettypetticoats.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might be dribbling!
    Sophie
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god, there are no words, they just look so amazing <3

    Ellen xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous30/3/13 18:54

    These look SO amazing - one of my friends made them and they were the best things I think I've ever tasted xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing, may have to give them a whirl if there's any Cree eggs still left in the supermarkets! X

    Thegirlwithtoomanyclothes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheers! I tried this today using your blog for help. Blummin' delicious I tell you! I kept them in the oven a bit longer too as it was just way to gooey! Came out perfect and taste yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Tim! Yeh they do come out ridiculously runny at first. In hindsight I would bake for even longer next time!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig