Wednesday, January 18, 2012

HOME INSPIRATION - LIVING ROOM

As most of you know by now, partly due to the fact that I haven't shut up about it, Dan and I are hoping to move in together in the next few months once I bag myself a job in Manchester. Naturally, I've been spending my spare time looking at interiors in magazines and on the internet to give us some inspiration for decor and furnishings. We will be renting so will be limited as to how we can decorate the walls and floors, so a lot of rugs and wall art will come into play to put our stamp on things. Plus money will be tight to start out so we want to do things as cheaply as possible, without compromising quality. Over the next couple of weeks I'll be doing some inspiration boards using imagery I've found on Pinterest to show you the kind of things we are looking at, starting with the living room.
I love the idea of mixing modern with vintage, and having retro pieces such as old record cabinets and a quirky coffee table, alongside modern, square sofas and armchairs. Whenever I think of how it would look in my head, I imagine a corner sofa around a rectangular coffee table, all laid out perfectly straight and square, but then an organised chaos of mismatched cushions, throws and a huge rug to pull everything together.
I'd also like there to be a mix of modern and retro prints on the soft furnishings, all in a similar accent colour. I'd love to have neutral sofas and chairs, and then cushions in reds and oranges, or lime greens and duck egg blues. It probably sounds completely horrific, but I can picture it all in my head and I can assure you it looks lovely. Let's just hope Dan has similar ideas! I've also put together a little moodboard of items to show you how to achieve this look , and also for my own reference! All the pictures featured in the above images can be found on my Pinterest Home Inspiration board. You can find all the sources on there. (If you would like an invite to Pinterest, let me know. I have 4 to give out!).
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

Let me know what you think of this kind of post! I'll be doing these for a couple of weeks, and then I'll be going back to my usual Sitting Pretty Styles feature. Next I'll be doing Kitchen/Dining Room, so keep an eye out for that, and if you have a Pinterest account send me your link!


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Such a great inspiration, I love viewing how others houses are being decorated. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mix of vintage pieces with high street buys, and it means you can make something really unique! Me and my boyfriend have been collecting a 'bottom drawer' full of stuff for about a year! We have so much but still not enough money to move out haha!
    I definitely recommend charity shops for some art or prints, a quick re-frame and they can look brilliant.

    Have fun buying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these posts, I'm moving again (for the third year in a row!) this summer so it's always good to have new inspiration. Looking forward to the kitchen post, is there any chance you could send me a Pinterest invite? I'd be really grateful xXx

    sandiemills89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig